Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Still Don't Believe It!

So, per last week's post, I was scheduled to leave for the e.d. treatment center on Monday. Packed and repacked, eager and anxious at the same time, I am grateful the day is finally arriving. Except it isn't, or it doesn't, or whatever.
When I ran by Walgreens Friday to get my meds, I was informed that I do not have insurance any longer. I was further informed that my COBRA (can you say evil) policy ran out March 31. This is most confusing as I have Explanation of Benefits, etc where the insurance company has paid claims through both April and May. Of course, since it is the weekend I can't do a thing about it until Monday. So I spend the weekend in limbo. Not.A.Good.Weekend. I call Cobra yesterday and they confirm that, in fact, my insurance was cancelled on March 31 due to non payment. (yes, I sent payments for both April and May). By now, however, I have checked my bank statement and neither check posted. Yet, I am still confused. Why did they make payments on claims over those two months if I didn't have insurance for more than 60 days. The answer: They are shorthanded. The turnaround time to let the 'paying people' at the cobra insurance office is about two months. Now, I don't know exactly what to think, say, or feel. I am angry. I know that much. It may not be the cobra insurance's fault that they never received my checks. (I mailed 2 checks of 2 different accounts in one envelope and yes I put my id number on them), but I do know, KNOW, that had they not been paying those claims in April I would have taken care of the problem by now because I would have known something was very much amiss. The lady asked me, "Don't you check to see if your payment posted to your account?" I said, "Lady, when you pay you electricity bill and turn the light switch on, if it comes on, do you then go and check your bank statement to see if it posted or do you just think 'wow, damned thing musta posted cuz I still have lights'?" That is my only defense. They used up my grace period because of their slow turn around. I could be at the treatment center right now, probably carrying on about how I want to come home but instead, I'm sitting in a coffee shop getting madder by the minute as I type this. I have filed an appeal. Big Whip. Apparently Cobra, at least as it pertains to former teachers in Arkansas, is an entity to itself and doesn't have to answer to the insurance commissioner in Arkansas, who I also called. In other words Cobra-God. I don''t know. I just don't know. Maybe I'm missing something. I just don't know. But if anyone knows of a decent facility for treating eating disorders that is nonn-profit or offers financial assistance, I would be so incredibly happy to hear from you.

ps. I'm too mad to proof this. just whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment