Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dear Fear of Failure

Fear of Failure,

You have certainly been a powerful part of my life. Unfortunately, you have been one of  the most powerful, but I am relieved to see the back side of you. It has taken years to gather the positive resources necessary to reach the place in my life where I can say GET THE #(@) OUT! I have earned the right to every #(@) YOU I send with you as I kick you out of the door.

I am aware of no gratitude from having known you. Some day my perception may shift into believing you have initiated positive growth in some way. For now, however, my only awareness is of the countless number of things I have been afraid to try and to pursue because of you. From climbing a damned tree to believing I could ever again write a poem, from daring to swing with abandon at recess to the willingness to accept someone's love for me, you have been my constant companion. As both a soft, quiet whisper and a powerful and piercing voice, you have prophesied how I could and probably would fail. Your mantra has been the theme song on the soundtrack of my life, and just like that stupid song one cannot get out of her head, you have haunted me. Your power has been nothing but a dam to possibilities.
So #(@) OFF NOW!

I am going to know failure in my future; I am going to know even more success. But what I am not going to have anymore, what my ears refuse to listen to again is your echoing message. I will no longer sway in rhythm to the fear of failure melody you love to sing.

Today it is time for a new song.

Courageously,
ME

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on taking this huge step in healing. Facing your fears makes it possible to let go of them and to grow. We always have more strength than we think we do.

    ReplyDelete